Apple watch Series 5 Full Specifications – The much talked about Apple watch series 5 is set to be released 20th September. It’s succeeds the Apple Watch Series 4 released last year and has now been discontinued as announced by the tech giant. This leaves us with the new Watch 5 and the older Watch 3 released two years ago as a cheaper alternative.
The Watch 5 as expected is a more comprehensive activity tracker with menstrual cycle tracking, hearing tracking and compass added. It also comes with the WatchOS 6 out of the box which enables your favorite apps to now be accessible directly from the Watch 5. Moreover, the Watch 5 supports international emergency calling that’ll now allow you call respective emergency contacts almost anywhere in the world.
Other notable features of the Watch 5 are same features introduced to the discontinued Watch 4 such as incidental fall detection, ECG tracking, digital crown with hepatic feedback and many more advance features including the 64-bit dual-core processor S5 chip that improves performance of the Watch 5.
Apple Watch Series 5 Full Specifications
WHERE TO BUY
|Device name||Apple Watch Series 5|
|Device type||Sport/Fitness smartwatch|
|Predessesor||Apple Watch Series 4|
|Released date||September, 2019|
|Display type||LTPO OLED|
|Display size||1.78 inches (44mm)
1.57 inches (40mm)
|Screen resolution||448 x 368 pixels (44mm)
324 x 394 pixels (40mm)
1 button plus
with hepatic feedback
|Dimension||44 x 38 x 10.7 mm (44mm)
40 x 38 x 10.7 mm (40mm)
|Weight||36.1 g (non-LTE)
47.8 g (LTE)
30.1 g (non-LTE)
36.7 g (LTE)
|Casing material||Stainless steel
Ceramic and sapphire crystal back
|Strap size||125 - 210mm|
|Screen protection||Sapphire crystal glass|
|Water resistant/Protection||Yes, IP68, 5ATM|
|Color(s)||Black, silver, gold|
|Memory card slot||--|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes|
|Heart rate monitor (HRM)||Yes|
|Other sensors||ECG, compass|
|Operating system (OS)||WatchOS 6.0|
|Chipset||Apple S4, 64bit|
|Type of battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||Standby :3 days + , Mixed usage: 18hrs+|
|Charging time||About 1-2 hours|
|Payment system||Apple Pay|
|Compatibility||iPhone 5s or later with iOS 12 or later|
|Companion app||Apple watch APP|
|Customizable watch face||Yes|
|Apple Watch Series 5 (44mm)|
|Magnetic charging cable + USB adapter|
|Quick start guide|
|Price||About $420 (GPS)
The Watch 5 spots same design as the Watch 4, it same lightweight and sophisticated design with a fine finish that truly defines a premium smartwatch. The Watch 5 is available in two sizes; 44mm and 40mm, and both are 10.7mm thick which leaves these two with an attractive and classy appearance.
Both versions of the Watch 5 are lightweight, and are very comfortable wear all day long. LTPO AMOLED still powers the display on the two models offering a very interactive and rich display. There’s has been report that Apple is working on a micro-LED display that consumes less power, this hopefully will improve the abysmal battery life of future Apple watches.
The Watch 5 is available in various materials, aluminum for the GPS only edition, and stainless steel, aluminum, titanium and ceramics for the GPS + Cellular editions. Prices starts at $400 for the aluminum and goes up in that order with the ceramic edition being most expensive.
The Watch 5 still features the digital crown button with hepatic feedback that was introduced in the Watch 4 which offers a click-free feel as you scroll. This eased navigation on the Watch 4 and would also make navigating the Watch 5 very easy.
There’re lots of strap materials to choose from, prices varies for different materials with premium ones priced higher. The watch face can be customized, you can choose from the hundreds of available watch faces in the App store. And with the always-on display feature of the Watch 5, you can showcase your style.
Apple increased the storage capacity of the Watch 5. All editions of the Watch 5 will have 32GB storage capacity which is twice that of the Watch 4 and 3.
Water Resistance Rating
Just like the Watch 4 and 3, the Watch 5 is rated 5ATM which means its waterproof up to 50 meters. This makes it swim-proof, it’s safe to wear the Watch 5 to the pool, to the shower or perhaps you’re caught up in the rain, it shouldn’t be a problem. However, it’s advisable not to subject the Watch 5 to high pressure such as diving as this could damage the device.
Battery life hasn’t changed with the release of the Watch 5. It’ll last just as long as the Watch 3 and 4, it has been tested to last about 18 hours on regular usage. This isn’t impressive when compared to other high-end smartwatches like the Versa 2 and Galaxy Active 2 with more than 2 days battery life.
Although, David Price, in this report, had stated that Apple is pondering a long-term switch from the current OLED technology to micro-LED which consumes less power. And should this plan materialized, it will certainly improve that battery life of Apple smartwatches.
There’s a cellular edition of the Watch 5 which supports LTE connectivity this makes it a standalone smartwatch just like the older models. You can make and receive calls from the Watch 5. Moreover, the new international calling feature built into the Watch 5 will allow you call respective emergency contacts almost anywhere in the world.
The Watch 5 is a more comprehensive activity tracker than the older models. Just in line with Apple’s ideology to improve wellness and activity tracking on its new watch, the Watch 5 is well equipped to track your active life as its loaded with lots of features that can improve your fitness level significantly.
Newly added features include compass that can give you more insightful details on your current location, menstrual cycle tracking for women, and the noise detection feature that can alert you when the sound becomes harmful to your ear. Activity tracking features on the Watch 5 includes,
- Proactive heart rate monitoring that tracks your heart rate to give your detail insight on your heart rate variability.
- Comprehensive sleep tracking.
- Stress management, the Watch 5 can help you return to calm after a stressful day simply by taking the breathing session offered via the breath session app.
- The Watch 5 tries to learn about your daily activities, and is able to tell when its right to move, sit or exercise via the activity ring.
- GPS is inbuilt in the Watch 5 with altimeter and compass which makes it a great choice for outdoor activity tracking.
- Added cycling tracking app that lets you log your period. This feature comes very useful for women as it can help you detect changes that might go unnoticed. The Watch 5 joins the likes of the Versa 2 and Garmin’s Vivoactive 4 also featuring the menstrual cycle logging.
- Added hearing tracking, the Watch 5 features hearing tracking that lets you know when the sound is too high and unhealthy. The new Noise app senses when the roar of the crowd or the rumble of machinery reaches a level that may pose a risk.
- Added compass feature for better location orientation. The Watch 5 features a compass feature that’s accessible right on the watch face. It gives you more insightful coordinate details on your location.
- Fall detection available on the Watch 4 is also present on the Watch 5. The watch 5 can detect when a fall has occurred, and will send alert to a preset emergency contact. You can dismiss this action, but if you’re unresponsive after 60 seconds, a call is automatically placed. It’s one of the best safety feature as seen also on the latest Garmin smartwatches.
- ECG tracking first introduced to the Watch 4 is also available on the Watch 5. The Watch 5 lets you take instant ECG test simply by placing your thumb on the digital crown which reports in about 30secs. This feature can help you detect atrial fibrillation – a form of irregular heart rhythm that can be fatal if left untreated.
- Added international emergency calling. The cellular models of the older Apple watches were able to contact emergency, but now Apple has added international emergency calling that enables the Watch 5 to contact the respective emergency contacts almost anywhere in the world.
The Watch 5 is well equipped to keep you connected to all that matters to you. It alerts you when there’s a new notification on your iPhone so you don’t get to miss important updates such as emails, calls and other notifications.
NFC is available which support Apple pay – a non-contactless payment system that lets you make payments on the go directly from the Watch 5.